Tuesday 2 November 2010

I.C.T. Lesson

As part of Workshop IV we were all asked to design an I.C.T. lesson. In order to do so, we had to choose one of the activities we had done with our students during the practice period and digitalize it in some way.

The final task that I prepared for my lessons was making cover pages. That activity was both motivating for students and it was also an evaluation tool for me and for the class teacher. At the same time, the activity forced students to watch the news or to read newspapers at home. As students could use any grammar tense they knew and as they felt very proud of their cover pages, I decided to use them for my I.C.T. lesson.

Our Workshop teacher had given us the addresses for some web pages in which we could perform various tasks. I had to make the same cover pages that students had done, so I had to use (and learn how to use) Openzine, a website for creating online magazines. I thought it was going to be hard work and sort of a very complicated task but except from the time it took for each change to be uploaded, everything went right. Of course I couldn´t find the same pictures students had used in their cover pages, but I tried to find similar ones. Once I had corrected students´ covers I copied everything they had written in them, trying to follow their same layouts as far as possible. It took me a couple of hours to choose the design, to upload the pictures and to write students´ texts but by the time I got used to working on that website I had no more cover pages to upload.

I think that having learned to use another tool has been very useful, not only to comply with the I.C.T. lesson that I had to plan, but also to use that tool in the future, as a teacher. At the same time, it´s been a clear proof that there are no limits using the Internet. There is always something we can profit from and the best thing is that we don´t need to be computer literate to do so. We just have to click and, through trial and error, try to succeed.

I guess you want to see the cover pages. If so, just click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment